ISBL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nets get consolation prize in D. Will WOW

3 posters

Go down

Nets get consolation prize in D. Will WOW Empty Nets get consolation prize in D. Will WOW

Post by freemiller22 Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Trying to rebound from the disappointment of their failed pursuit of Carmelo Anthony, the New Jersey Nets have agreed to a blockbuster trade with the Utah Jazz for Deron Williams, sources said on Wednesday.

The Nets will send Derrick Favors and Devin Harris to Utah for the All-Star point guard.

No Dropoff
The Nets had been after Carmelo Anthony, but an argument can be made that they got a player as good, if not better, in Deron Williams. Here are their stats:

PER GAME WILLIAMS ANTHONY
Points 21.3 25.2
Rebounds 3.9 7.6
Assists 9.7 2.8
Steals 1.2 0.6
FG Pct. .458 .452
The deal, scheduled for completion later Wednesday after a trade call with the league office, would also involve the Golden State Warriors and bring multiple draft picks to Utah.

Williams took some heat this month for the retirement of Jazz coach Jerry Sloan. The two had disagreed during halftime of a home loss to the Bulls on Feb. 9. Sloan retired the next day.

"Maybe arguing was the last straw, so there I am, guilty of that," Williams said at the time. "But I think anybody who believes I could force coach Sloan to resign is crazy. He's stronger than that and personally if I said that to him, he'd probably go tell me to go do something."

More critical to Williams situation is the fact that he can become a free agent after next season and hadn't made headway with the Jazz on a new deal. Utah could have faced the same kind of circus atmosphere that the Nuggets encountered with Anthony this season.

Unlike Anthony, who could opt out of his contract after this season and was allowed under the current collective bargaining agreement to sign an extension with the Knicks, Williams can't opt out until after next season and can't sign an extension until July 2011. The current CBA expires after this season, however, making all contract talk uncertain.

Williams was an All-Star the past two seasons. In his sixth year in the league, the 26-year-old is averaging a career-high 21.3 points and 9.7 assists per game.

Harris has played three-plus seasons in New Jersey after starting his career in Dallas. He has made one All-Star team and is averaging 15.0 points and 7.6 assists this season.

Favors, who was the centerpiece of the Nets' proposal for Anthony, was the third overall pick in the past NBA draft. He's averaging 6.3 points and 5.3 rebounds in 19.5 minutes per game this season.

Just Tuesday night, the Dallas Mavericks were talking to the Nets about re-acquiring Harris, according to sources. The Mavericks had shown interest in the point guard in January and told the Nets the sides should talk again if New Jersey didn't ship him out in a Carmelo Anthony trade.

Sources said Dallas turned down a New Jersey proposal of Harris for Caron Butler, Mavs rookie Dominique Jones and a first-round pick.

Thats crazy what you think bout this deal
freemiller22
freemiller22

Back to top Go down

Nets get consolation prize in D. Will WOW Empty Re: Nets get consolation prize in D. Will WOW

Post by CB069 Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:28 pm

It's funny how the melo saga lasted for months - and then D Will gets traded in a second...never saw that coming.

Nets finally get a quality superstar...someone to build around.

I also like the fact that Troy Murphy is getting moved to the Golden State Warriors (sources say)...he was being wasted in New Jersey.
CB069
CB069

Back to top Go down

Nets get consolation prize in D. Will WOW Empty Re: Nets get consolation prize in D. Will WOW

Post by XxCuZiMaSiAnxX Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:18 pm

yea I never expected d will to be traded. I feel bad for D Will cause he did not want ot be tradede [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
... hopefully troy murphy signs with miami after g state buys him out
XxCuZiMaSiAnxX
XxCuZiMaSiAnxX

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down